If, like us, you’re obsessed with the ‘flip ‘n’ grip’ look created by stylist Zoe Irwin for the Olivia Rubin A/W 2020 runway show, here’s how to recreate it for yourself.
The Olivia Rubin A/W 2020 collection takes inspiration from the colourful years of 80’s fashion, with a subtle modern twist. Models brightened the presentation space wearing rainbow petal hues and tie dye ombre, all of which was embellished with polka dots, sequins and silky pearls. The colourful final look was tied together with vibrant blue eyeliner, rosy cheeks and voluminous hair laced in bright Kirby grips inspired by the four hero colours behind the collection.
The hair look
Hair travelled back to the 80’s and was inspired by Jerry Hall’s famous locks but with a 2020 twist. Curls, volume and colour stole the show with the look, created by stylist and ghd ambassador Zoe Irwin using the new ghd helios hairdryer and set in place with vibrant Kirby grips coloured by Zoe herself.
The new ghd helios is lighter and faster for ultra-powerful drying and styling control, delivering 30% more shine. “The ghd helios hairdryer gives you the perfect flow of air when drying to create a natural fullness, stunning shine and smoothness like no other,” says Zoe. “It’s my new kit bag essential as it’s so fast and really minimises drying time, therefore limiting damage to your hair. Remember to use the cool shot button when drying – this blast of cold air helps to lock your finished style in place.”
Get the look
1. Begin by applying ghd’s Root Lift Spray to the roots & spraying until damp, then lightly spritz through the lengths of the hair.
2. To create volume, blow dry with the ghd helios hairdryer, lifting the hair at the root and drying around the ghd Natural Bristle Brush Size 2. Flip hair to the side while drying.
3. Once dry, section off the hair and tong throughout using ghd curve classic curl tong, to create soft movement.
4. Very gently brush the curls out using the ghd oval dressing brush to create soft waves.
5. Apply colourful hair grips to the side of the head and down to the nape of the neck.
6. Finish with ghd final fix hairspray.
For more Professional Salon news and updates, subscribe to our newsletter.